5.18.2005

Imagine a table sitting in a room.

Imagine that on the table there are two separate glasses filled with water.

Why do we say that water in one glass is the same thing as water in another glass, and yet they are separate?

Can the same thing be separate from itself ?

How can they be the same and yet different ?

How can water be two different things and the same thing at the same time ?

Is geography the only argument with which we separate them ?

Isn’t geography a concept created by us to define space, only because our senses perceive the water as something different from the glass and the glass as something different from the air around it ?

I guess we would first have to define what we mean as perception.

And hence what we mean by reality.

This question baffles me.

Why do I consider myself separate from the “things” around me ? Is it because I perceive the things to be around me and in my mind I separate myself from them ?

Or is it because I use the word around, that implies separation from a center, that I consider those things separate ?

This idea of separating things, people or places or anything we want. Where did it come from ? Why am I not the chair I’m sitting in ?

I think I’ve got it. If I don’t separate myself from the chair, I can’t describe even to myself the changes that happened to the chair and did not happen to me. If I considered myself and the chair where I sit as one, then changes to the chair would be changes in myself.

It’s my perception of time and space, computed in my brain from input trough my senses that forces me to distinguish myself from objects around me. And objects around me from other objects around me. Not to mention the fact that it’s rather useful in conversation.

If my senses did not pick up movement. And my brain did not deduce time and space. I wouldn’t consider myself as separate from my environment. Which is probably why I believe plants to be a gigantic single organism on the planet.

And since I can imagine an experience where there was no time and no space, then in my mind I can be one with everything.

In which case I am God of myself. Being one with everything. I am God of everything.

I need a shrink.

 

M.V.

1 comment:

sicoactiva said...

esto me recuerda demasiado a los huecos en la universidad. todavía me pregunto cómo putas hice para soportar esas conversaciones durante 5 años. no dude, you're not god, I AM GOD, MOTHERFUCKER!